This course is a great way to learn all the fundamental steps of creating wheel thrown pottery. This course is for you if:
- You are a very beginner and have never touched clay before.
- There is a specific project or technique you’d like to learn.
- If you'd just like a mindful few hours in a peaceful setting, learning about the beauty of clay.
You will have my undivided attention throughout the course and I will be there to guide you through every step. I will do a demonstration at the start of every session so that you have a clearer idea of what you will be learning.
During the course you will learn:
- About different types of clay and their functions
- How to measure and wedge clay in preparation for throwing
- How to centre clay on the potters wheel
- How to throw a cylinder
- How to clean your potters wheel after throwing and take care of your tools
- About clay consistency and when it is ready for turning (trimming)
- Trimming and altering your piece to suit your preference
- Adding a footring
- Adding a handle
- You will learn about recycling clay and maintaining a sustainable studio
- About glazes and what they do
- How to prepare a glaze
- How to glaze your piece
- How to clean your piece after glazing to prevent accidents in the kiln
This course is meant to be a fun and enriching experience and I am really excited to be able to be at a stage in my practice where I can share what I have learned. I will adjust my teaching to suit you and we will go at a pace that is comfortable to you.
Week 1's lesson will be 3 hours and week 2 and 3 will be 2 hours each. The course includes all materials, firing and glazing of your work from a choice of three glazes (if applicable). Once fired, I will post your work to you or you can collect it. Postage is included in the price of the course.
Once you have purchased a lesson I will call/ email you within 48hrs. We will have a brief chat about your goals as a maker, what your skill level is and arrange a date and time for your lessons!